Emma Bedford was Senior Curator at the South African National Gallery for 25 years, during which she curated many exhibitions of major artists such as Maggie Laubser, William Kentridge and Marlene Dumas. She developed the collection by driving the acquisitions of works by established artists as well as younger art stars like Moshekwa Langa, Nicholas Hlobo and Zanele Muholi. Bedford was the first Director of Goodman Gallery Cape where she worked closely with artists of the calibre of Robert Hodgins and Sue Williamson. She has developed an international profile through exhibitions curated for the Venice Biennale in 2001 and was the only South African curator invited to the International Curatorial Workshop at The Museum of Modern Art, New York in 2005. Bedford has 7 years’ experience as Senior Art Specialist at a leading South African auction house.
firstname.lastname@example.org | +27 83 391 7235
Jacqui Carney graduated from Wits Art School with a BA in Fine Art. She joined a leading South African auction house where she became Head Cataloguer and Researcher, before being promoted to Art Specialist. She was involved in the entire ambit of client liaison, valuation, cataloguing, advertising strategies, design, clerking, telephone bidding and auction production. She has generously donated her time to the production and success of several charity auctions, such as World Wildlife Fund, Artist Proof Studios, Bag Factory and Wildlands.
email@example.com | +27 71 675 2991
Mary-Jane Darroll, a Masters in Fine Art graduate from Wits University, is a former Curator of the Standard Bank Gallery and Corporate Collection. During her tenure at the Bank she was also Fine Art Coordinator of the Standard Bank National Arts Festival in Grahamstown. Subsequently she was Head of the Paintings Department at Stephan Welz & Co and later a Director of the Everard Read Gallery in Johannesburg. Following this she was a founder member and Executive Director of Strauss & Co and most recently Curator and Art Project Director at the Nirox Sculpture Park. She currently serves as a trustee of the Claire and Edoardo Villa Will Trust.
firstname.lastname@example.org | +27 82 567 1925
Ruarc Peffers began at Stephan Welz & Co in association with Sotheby’s where he progressed to become Director and Head of the Art Department. He studied at the University of Edinburgh graduating with a Master of Science degree in Modern Art: History, Curating and Criticism. He then joined the primary market with Blank Projects and the NGO field with the Visual Arts Network of South Africa. More recently he returned to the auction industry as Senior Art Specialist and Auctioneer for a leading South African auction house. He has worked on many local and international art fairs – most recently Frieze London and The Cape Town Art Fair and was also at the Goodman Gallery for a period. He regularly conducts charity auctions for Artist Proof Studios, ABSA, Art Angels, Bag Factory, the Cancer Association, Diane Victor, Lesley Perkes, Stop Sign Art Gallery, University of Stellenbosch and the Wits School of Art.
email@example.com | +27 84 444 8004
About Aspire Art Auctions
Our vision is to change the paradigm of the auction industry in South Africa: by placing the best quality fine art at the centre of everything we do, and by bringing diversity and inclusivity to all our dealings.
Our mission is threefold:
- To broaden the scope of the art market in South Africa through an expert focus on historic, modern and contemporary art.
- To diversify by educating and growing new and potential buyers in the different segments of the secondary art market.
- To include sellers, buyers, artists and other stakeholders in our efforts to grow the South African auction market, and to ensure that royalties are paid to artists to ensure the sustainability of the art industry in the country.
- We place art, sustainability, and the development of the industry at our core.
- We are committed to the ongoing growth of the practitioners and the professionals that have made this market what it is today.
- We are committed to the industry and its greater community, producing curated auctions which uphold the significance of established artists whilst building a market for the future.
- We are ethical in all our dealings; and place integrity and transparency at the heart of our interactions with sellers, buyers, artists and all role players in our industry.